Friday, February 15, 2013

STOCKHOLM'S OLD TOWN


Sycamore Street Press blog | Wanderlust | Stockholm's Gamla Stan
I originally posted this on the Sycamore Street Press blog on December 4, 2012.
Eva Maria Wilhelmina Lundh Hubertz. Quite the mouthful, right? Her friends shortened it to the nickname May. I called her Mormor. She was my great-grandmother, and I grew up watching her fingers work at various crafting projects while sitting on the couch in her cozy living room. She came to the US from Stockholm in the 20′s and married my great-grandfather, a handsome young Norwegian. I’ve always wanted to visit the city where she grew up, and this fall, I was lucky enough to do just that.
On our first day in Stockholm, Kirk, Ingrid, and I took a walk around the old part of the city: Gamla Stan. I’ve heard that in the summertime, it’s crowded and overrun with tourists. But on this quiet day in October, we had the streets practically to ourselves. It was magical. – Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment